Monday, 10 February 2014

Mental Health Monday - A Quick Look at Today's Stereotypes



       As you can probably tell, this blog post is going to be about mental health. In recent years mental health issues have entered the spotlight as more and more people have decided to step out of the proverbial closet and acknowledge that they are suffering from mental health issues. Along with this recent influx in people acknowledging their mental health issues there has also as of late, been an insurgence of campaigns to create awareness about mental health and in so doing, put a stop to the stigma that is still attached to mental health problems today.

     Despite these initiatives people who experience mental health issues are often still stereotyped as individuals who are making a lot of fuss out of nothing, are making a mountain out of molehill or who are just generally incapable. When I eventually sought out help for my own mental health issues, and was diagnosed with depression someone told me I was "Just getting over a hump". When I first heard those words, I felt something inside me shrink even though the person meant it as encouragement. It made me feel like the way I was feeling was stupid and that I was making a lot out of nothing. Another possible problem, aside from making the person feel more shitty than they already do is that saying something like this could cause the person to go into deeper denial about their mental health problems, preventing them from seeking help.

     In today's modern world, where science has documented the existence of many mental health issues and has also found reasonably effective solutions to these issues, there should be no need for a person to hide their mental health problems on any grounds. To give you an idea of the science behind mental health issues I've included a picture in this post that my boyfriend sent me, portraying several responses to mental health issues as well as a comparison of a "normal" brain to a person suffering from the respective problem.

     As shown in the picture, mental health problems such as, ADHD (Attention Deficit Disorder), OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and Depression are scientifically proven medical problems. No person deserves to be ridiculed for a mental health issue that they are experiencing, especially considering the medical research that is accessible everywhere today with the internet.

      It is because of these stereotypes, which still prevail that I've decided to make mental health issues a regular feature on my blog every monday in "Mental Health Monday". In my "Mental Health Monday" features you can look forward to posts on various types of disorders, current campaigns bringing mental health awareness, musings on my own mental health issues and much more...


Be sure to let me know if there's any mental health question in particular that you'd like to see discussed on my blog and I will do my best to find information on it!

If you're experiencing unaddressed mental health issues at this moment, know that it is okay to seek help for yourself! I've included some quick links below to some key phone numbers if you need to speak to someone immediately:

Mental Health Links:


Canada

Ontario's Mental Health Hotline: 1-866-531-2600
Kid's Help phone:  1-800-668-6868
Canadian Mental Health Association 
EMental Health Canada

United States

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)
National Hopeline: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)

Click here For More Mental Health Information and Crisis Hotlines both inside and outside Canada and the United States
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for ] Blogger...