Sunday, 9 February 2014

Mr. Darcy - Meeting my Guinea Pig


       I have been allergic to most creatures for as long as I can remember, and at the same time I have had pets for as long as I can remember. Growing up there was always budgies chirping, puppies barking and guinea pigs squealing- the fish were mostly silent. So even though I am allergic to feathers and fur a pet-lover nonetheless defines a key component of who I am. So while scratching my head trying to figure out what to share with you guys this wintery day I decided to introduce you to one of my fur babies, Mr. Darcy.




      Mr. Darcy found me when I was in Grade 11, in 2011. I was scrolling aimlessly through kijiji at my kitchen table when I came across and advertisement for a baby guinea pig. From the moment I saw that add I knew I was absolutely doomed. I got my mom and showed her the add and low and behold by that evening I had a baby guinea pig barely the size of my palm cupped in my hands. 

      Though Mr. Darcy didn't come from the humane society he was most certainly a rescue. The people whom I bought him from lived in a poorer neighbourhood and had bought two female guinea pigs at the pet store only to realize later that one of them was pregnant. The lady who handed them to me told my mother and I she couldn't afford to feed them all and thus Mr. Darcy was rescued and adopted.



Carrot Face


     When I got him he was barely a month old so I hand fed him until he grew strong and was able to devour the lettuce and guinea pig food without my help. Eating has been his primary occupation ever since. Today it takes two hands to hold all of his love, and he's certainly a far cry from the little piggy that barely fit in my palm. Enough talking here are some pictures of the little darling from when he was growing up three years ago....

Pig on the Roof!


Omnomnomnom


    


NZ7VRT98E5CG

2 comments:

  1. Having multiple allergies aversive to pet care while being a pet-lover must be quite hard! I just can't imagine my life without them. Anyway, Mr. Darcy looks down-right handsome. I'm loving the parti-color coat of his. And the story on how you got him is really touching. The best of health to you and Mr. Darcy!

    Priscilla @ The Pet Glider

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately Darcy passed away about a month ago despite a visit to the vets and antibiotics, he caught an upper-respiratory infection. I'm comforted by the fact that he is with the other piggie angels now :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for ] Blogger...