Saturday, 22 February 2014

The Weekly Herb- The Rose

      I just can't believe its Saturday already. This past week was my reading week and as such I had no classes and lots of extra time to sleep and sleep I certainly did... in the past few days breakfast has been delayed from 9am to about 11am and I am almost always to be found lounging about in my bed. But now both classes, waking up early and the daily drudge so to speak are only a weekend away...le sigh... Anyways, it is Saturday and so as I munch on my rather stale Countrystyle muffin which I bought twenty minutes ago and my far tastier German Chocolate Cake Keurig Coffee, it is time to write my weekly herb post. 

    I recently bought a rose scented candle (of the $0.99) variety, at Micheals (an arts and crafts store that I love wandering through). Considering its price, the candle is itself not of the greatest quality and the rose scent isn't natural, but I still enjoyed the hint of spring its rosey scent reminds me of, even if the rose is artificial. Which is why I've decided to write about Roses in this week's post, even if a rose isn't strictly an herb.



A Little Bit of History


      Perhaps the most ancient herb I have written of so far, the rose is known to have existed at least 35 million years ago as noted by fossil evidence. It is believed that roses were first grown in gardens around five to six thousand years ago in Asia, this ultimately cemented its prized place in humanities gardens. Like Ancient Asia, the rose garden quickly flourished in Roman grounds. In addition to gaining a place in Roman gardens, the Romans also quickly associated the rose with love by using it both as a perfume, and wedding confetti. Around the same time in Greek society, the rose became associated with love through an association with the Greek goddess Aphrodite who according to Greek mythology, named the rose, even though the rose was created by the Goddess of flowers Chloris. In India, the goddess Lakshmi was even created out of roses to in order to create a bride for the Hindu god Vishnu.


 


        During the fifteenth century the history of the rose took a step away from its symbolism as love and instead become symbolic of the fight for kingship in Britain between the Lancaster family represented by the red rose and the York family represented by the white rose. The rose became so significant to the feud for the throne that this part of English history is now referred to as the 'war of the roses'.


Medical Properties:


       The American National Centre for Biotechnology Information has recently concluded that rose essential contains antioxidant, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. In addition, aromatherapists also cite the rose as an anti-depressant as well as containing properties which are beneficial for both the skin and menstrual problems.

Magical Properties


Love: Dates to Roman wedding's, Hindu and Greek Mythology
Protection: Presumably originates from love
Healing: Due to its association with anti-depressants, and as an antioxidants
Psychic Powers: Presumably due to its association with anti-depressants 
Planet: Venus
Element: Water


Sources:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for ] Blogger...