Wednesday, 30 April 2014

My Beltane Celebration and At Home Ideas

      For many pagans who follow the Wheel of the Year, tonight is the Sabbat of Beltane. This first fire festival of the year (Samhain or Halloween is the second) falls on the eve of April 30th and continues until the eve of May 1st.

Mixing herbs for a Beltane Cleaner
      In addition to being a fire festival, Beltane is also a celebration of the Earth's renewed fertility. For Wiccans, Beltane is the time at which the Lord or Horned God consummates his marriage with the Lady or Goddess. While some pagans choose to celebrate this festival of fertility by making babies of their own, in my opinion bedroom business should be reserved for the bedroom. That being said, if you are trying to get pregnant what better time to conceive than when the Earth is herself renewing life.

Beltane Witch Bottle (made of cleansing herbs described below)
      As a celebration of the Earth's sprouting life, this Beltane I am honouring the Green Man and his natural domain. I have asked him to renew my home and bless it for this coming growing season. As a Celtic witch I also felt the need to include Cernunnos, the Celtic All-Father and God of the forest (which is returning once again to life after a long winter) in my celebration so I've included both their tarot cards in my Beltane space (I don't really like the word altar, it has to many Christian connotations which I don't feel apply to me). I've also included some other tarot cards such as shadow weaver and entwined which represent my hopes and intentions for the coming season.


     As a season of new growth I prepared my home for tonight's festival by mixing: rose petals, pine needles, dried lavender flowers, water and citrus essential oil together in a bowl, and then wiping down the surfaces in my room and the doorways in the apartment. Pine, lavender and citrus are herbs noted especially for their cleansing abilities, while rose petals bring stability to hearth, home and relationships. Then, after I was finished wiping down surfaces I placed the remaining herbs in the wash bucket with some environmentally friendly soap (it was on sale yay!) and mopped the floors.


     Although it is said to bring good luck if one hops over a Beltane fire, I'm a little too nervous for such things so I'm simply going to light my green candle and cuddle up with my boyfriend and watch the Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

How are you celebrating this Beltane?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for ] Blogger...