Monday, 19 May 2014

Smudgy Cleaning A Second Look -Guest Post Written by my Aunt T

      Yesterday I wrote a post about my practices of smudgy cleaning called, Smudging without the Flame -'A How To' for Smudgy Cleaning and halfway through writing it hit me, most of my inspiration for smudgy cleaning comes from my Aunt T, who inspired me in a path changing conversation which I wrote about in My Spiritual Journey to Witchcraft. Without further ado let me hand it over to my Aunt T :)

Smudgy Cleaning -Guest Post written by my Aunt and Traditional Witch, Aunt T

       Smudgy cleaning...yes indeed, do it all the time, or rather, cleaning with intention. I could be wrong but I think its simply the way “we” do things.  Magically.  With Awareness. With Intention.  We charge our cleaning herbs, oils, and soaps with joy, peace, love, abundance etc. and when we clean we are spreading that love.  I am always “brewing” my cleaning vinegar with herbs, flowers or rinds (i.e. orange peels). I shake them everyday putting a bit of love in the jars. After 6 weeks or so, I have vinegars filled with the essences of lavender, citrus or herbs and the energies I personally put into every jar. When I clean, all that energy is released, filling my home with soothing scents (aromatherapy) and generally good vibes.
Spaghetti Strainers Work Perfect for straining tinctures! 
       As for smudging with smoke, I surely do. I do not however use a smudge stick, I think in all honesty they are kind of wasteful. Why use a stick when a leaf or two will do? I burn incense quite often on bits of charcoal discs in a fire-proof dish. For the love of Pete people - use a fire-proof dish!!!!! I too have seen videos of people just waving sage bundles around like sparklers with not a thought of dropping ash or burning bits onto people or clothing!
     Ah yes, where was I?...Right, smudging with smoke. My space is small and if I used a whole charcoal disc, the word “overkill” comes to mind; a whole disc is just too much in a small space.  My solution is simple, I cut my charcoal discs with a scissors into small wedges, just enough for a wee piece or three of resin to smolder, quite literally one at a time.  I choose and mix my incense ingredients to try and get an equal balance of cleansing negative energies and pulling in of positive, to ensure that protective energies fill any void left. When I crush and blend my ingredients I put my intentions into each one as I prep them, and then into the whole when it’s blended together. I believe the smoke is carrying my wishes and intentions as it meanders its way through the nooks and crannies out into the universe. 
My Current Personal Favourite Incense is:
2 parts Frankincense
2 parts Pine Needles (that the tree has thrown away and doesn't want anymore :p)
1 part Sandalwood
1 part Juniper Berries

We like Three Kings Incense here too, and white sage as well. 

Usually as the smoke starts to make its way up, I will say:
Smoke of Air,
Fire of Earth,
Cleanse and Bless this Home and Hearth.
Drive away all harm and fear,
Only good shall enter here.

     However, it isn't always convenient or practical to be lighting a piece of charcoal disc, so what does one do then? We spray smudge! I keep a bottle at home and a wee one in my purse (makes a super on the go hand sanitizer!).  I use the spray to cleanse around my apartment door, inside the car, or to spray on furniture and in the air when someone has dropped negative baggage in my space. Man does it ever work!  I can cite two occasions where I used it and both times, Negative Nelly and the space were noticeably calmer after. How does one make this elixir you ask? Super easy, just requires a bit of patience.
Tincture Brewing Away
    First make a tincture. I use the folk method which is basically fill a mason jar half with dry herbs and then fill to top with alcohol (vinegar is fine, but booze is better and makes a stronger tincture), let this sit for 6 weeks (this is the part where the patience comes in). I shook it or held it pretty much every day as I do with all my potions. 

     For my last batch of Smudge Spray I first made a tincture of sage (a mix of regular garden sage (Air) with a wee bit of white sage (Earth) thrown in), lavender flowers and stalk (Air) , and finally Rosemary (Fire) in 40% vodka (that's 80 proof US).

Equal parts:
Sage tincture (Air, Earth, Fire)
Witch hazel extract (Fire)
Distilled water

Witch Hazel Flowering
    I added to this a crystal chip each of citrine, amethyst and rose quartz.  Bottle and label clearly.  One day, I'd like to try living water from a spring or something instead of the distilled, but I don't know how it would hold up over time.

I use pretty much the same words as for smoke smudging, with a bit of jiggling:
Mist of Fire, Water, Air and Earth,
Cleanse and Bless this Home and Hearth.
Drive away all harm and fear,
Only good shall enter here.

The really wonderful thing about making a spray like this is you can adjust to your specific needs and availability of ingredients. That's what its all about too isn't it? Making magic that works for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for ] Blogger...