Thursday, 26 June 2014

A Mead or Cinnamon Apple Cider Brew

      While I was pinteresting away a couple days before Litha I came across the image at the bottom of the post and as my boyfriend and I have been tasting craft brews for a little while now, the words Easy Mead jumped out at me. Mead, one of the more traditional brews of beer is something that harkens back to the yesteryears of Britain, and as a side note is also exceedingly difficult to find in the liquor store (ours only carries it around Yule). 


Hard Cider Mead/ Apple Cinnamon Brew Recipe:
  • 1 quart of dry apple cider (hard or alcohol-free its up to you)
  • 3/4 cup of honey
  • 1/4 cup of sliced citrus fruits (we used 1 sliced and peeled orange)
  • 3 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
  • Instructions: Combine everything together in a jug just large enough to hold everything (we re-used an orange juice jug) and shake once a day (we shook it a couple times for good measure) for five days, strain before drinking. 

      To start, we went to the liquor store and picked up 4 500ml cans of Dukes hard, dry cider. Then we went to the Bulk Barn (a Canadian Bulk Foods Store) and picked up 3 large cinnamon sticks and finally an orange from the grocery store. Seeing as we already had honey in we didn't need to buy any. Then, when we got home we did as the recipe said, combined everything and gave it a shake a couple times a day for 5 days. After 5 days most of our honey had completely dissolved. Today, after shaking for the past week or so we decided to give it a go and got out the strainer to see what we had made (see pictures). 

Dry Apple Cider for Making the Mead
     I don't know why I was expecting it to taste like beer, but it certainly doesn't. Keep in mind that I've never really had mead before though so I don't know how accurate of a mead judge I am. After five days the carbonation is gone, as to be expected, and even though I do miss the fizzies a little bit I wouldn't say that its absence hinders the taste of the brew at all. In my opinion in tastes exactly like its ingredients a sweet, orangey, cinnamon, apple cider but beer, not so much. 


     Even though it doesn't taste like beer or like a honey wine, which mead is also sometimes described as, it is most certainly delicious. Imagine a sweet and subtly spicy fruit punch and you'll have a decent idea of its flavour. Although I can't really say that it is for sure a mead taste, it is a wonderful fruity summer drink to enjoy throughout this summer season! 


If any of you give it a go be sure to share your thoughts in the comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for ] Blogger...